This definitely isn't your typical cornbread! Topped with okra, fresh corn, zucchini, and jalapeño peppers, this cheesy cornbread is summer in a skillet. Check out Southern Cast Iron's recipe for Farmstand Cornbread!
This cornbread recipe takes things to another level by adding fresh okra, corn, zucchini, and jalapeño peppers plus two types of cheese! It’s the perfect side dish for any summer get together and is sure to have your guests asking for more!
Makes 1 (12-inch) cornbread or about 16 servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups whole buttermilk
- ⅔ cup fresh corn kernels
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 okra pods, halved lengthwise
- ½ cup fresh corn kernels
- ⅓ cup sliced fresh jalapeño pepper
- ¼ cup (⅛-inch-thick) sliced zucchini
- 2 campari tomatoes, quartered
- 1 shallot, sliced ¼-inch-thick and separated into rings
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Butter, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- For cornbread: Pour oil into a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Place in oven until very hot, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In another large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, corn, bell pepper, jalapeño, melted butter, and eggs. Make a well in center of cornmeal mixture; stir in buttermilk mixture just until combined. Carefully pour batter into hot skillet.
- For topping: Arrange okra, corn, jalapeño, zucchini, tomatoes, and shallot over batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheeses, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bake until Cheddar is melted, about 3 minutes more. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Serve with butter.