This meringue recipe is perfect for an easy at-home Valentine's Day dessert! You can bake these beautiful puffy treats as stand-alone cookies, or use the extra meringue as a way to seal them together for a meringue cake. Put them in a little gift bag with a pretty ribbon and you've got yourself a tasty Valentine's Day treat for your loved ones!
This meringue recipe is perfect for an easy at-home Valentine’s Day dessert! You can bake these beautiful puffy treats as stand-alone cookies, or use the extra meringue as a way to seal them together for a meringue cake. Put them in a little gift bag with a pretty ribbon and you’ve got yourself a tasty Valentine’s Day treat for your loved ones!
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups superfine sugar
- *optional for decor: sprinkles, dried fruit and floral, cinnamon, pistachio and cocoa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pour 1 ½ cups of white sugar out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread it out evenly. Bake the sugar in the oven on 400 degrees for about 5 minutes or less. Watch it to make sure the edges don’t brown!
- Remove warm sugar and set aside.
- Pour 5 egg whites into your electric mixing bowl (you can also use a hand mixer if you don’t have an electric one.)
- Turn the mixer on high and let the egg whites start to rise.
- Keep beating eggs on high and gradually add warm sugar in slowly so it dissolves into the egg whites. Continue to beat the egg whites after the sugar is added until it starts to look shiny.
- Lower oven temperature to 170 degrees.
- Fill a piping bag with the meringue and trace different shapes onto your second baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Use the piping bag to pipe small dots of meringue into the shapes you’ve traced. The backs will form together when they bake. You can also pipe some free-standing meringue drops for small cookies and to use as decorations.
- Bake the meringue treats at 170 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. You should see them start to puff up.
- Top the meringues with fruit, sprinkles or stack two ring shapes that have baked at the same size to make the shape of a cake or a really large doughnut.
- Grab champagne and enjoy!
You can find more about Earth and Sugar in West Palm Beach at this link!